For want of a better title: Serendipitous

For want of a better title

Tall and Tan and oh so Sexy, the boy *not* from Ipanema goes walking by...

Friday, January 27, 2006

Serendipitous

serendipitous

adj : being lucky in making unexpected and furtunate discoveries

Seredipity
1. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries.
3. An instance of making such a discovery.

That word is stuck in my head. It's a funny word too. Because in my mind it generates and image of a genie ala I Dream of Genie.



Just something about that word is magical you know. It's like the movie, with the same name. There's just something magical about the word.

It sounds funny too when you actually pronounce it. It also sounds calming. The other image is of serenity. Maybe that's where the word come from. They might share the same roots. Actually i just check... the answer is No. Serendipity come from Persian and Arabic roots, while Serene comes from Latin roots. Still I suppose the close spelling of both words creates an image in my mind of peacefulness.

Furthermore Seredipity comes from a story about 3 princesses. I mean that could be where the image of a genie comes from. (oh yeah... 3 princesses... mmmmm...)

Talking about the movie (Ed: way to go off topic)... That was a good movie. I love John Cusak. Like in High Fidelity (which was my first exposure to Jack Black). Mr Cusak seems to be typecast into such roles, but he does them very well.

The word itself talks about a series of fortunate incidents. I think my life has been a series of fortunate accidents. I have met some fo my best buds through fortunate accidents. I suppose those occurences are fortunate simply because I made good friends from them. Life has seldom thrown me lemons, and even when it has, it just opens up new avenues with which to make lemonade or lemon meringue pie. =P

Why am I blogging about the word? I dunno... It's just keeps popping up for some unexplained reason (ed: like alot of things in your life).

Well off to go get my new disks for World of Warcraft. I can hardly wait to go kick some Alliance butt and encounter Seredipity (what exactly that means is entirely up to your own imagination) (ed: oh behave) [hi mom!].

3 Comments:

  • At 1/28/2006 4:19 AM, Blogger Tym said…

    Serendipity is one of my favourite movies. Besides the always charming John Cusack, Kate Beckinsdale is quite delightful as well.

     
  • At 1/28/2006 10:24 AM, Blogger expat@large said…

    Serendip is the old old name for Sri Lanka, yeah?

     
  • At 1/28/2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Postmaster-General said…

    The two of you are amazing. =)

    Tym - Yes John Cusack is amazing. I love him as an actor... Kate is amazing too, but I watch for Mr Cusack

    Ex@Lar - I believe so... Not too sure, or after some ship that went to Sri Lanka... Either way... =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home